One of the great features of Scrivener is it’s Name Generator capability. It ships with several built-in collections of names containing both female and male first names and surnames for different nationalities. Trouble is, they weren’t enough for me.
My Personality series of sci-fi shorts envisions increased Chinese and Afrikaan populations, and other Asian cultures living in artificial environments orbiting Jupiter, it’s moons, and around other planets. So, I found I needed names in those nationalities for characters and locations and ship names and businesses and, you get the idea.
So, I found some name lists online and began converting them into a format Scrivener could digest. Since these helped me in my story writing efforts, I thought I’d share them with the world.
Click any link in the list below to download a ZIP file with surname, female, and male CSV files.
- Afrikaan Names names
- Finnish Names names
- Russian Period names
- US-Asian-Last last names
- US-Latino-Last last names
- US-Census-Last last names
To install your new name files in Scrivener, follow these steps:
- Select the Edit > Writing Tools > Name Generator menu item
- In the Name Generator window click the Gear icon to open the options pane
- In the Name Generator options pane click the + symbol
- Locate and select the name file to import, click Open
- Name to file appropriately for the content
- Repeat Steps 3-5 until all name files are imported.
Created and formatted on a Mac, so its possible these files may not work properly on other OSes.
Enjoy the new names generated in the tool.