Zombie-like I continue to lurch forward writing stories. I’ve actually been pretty productive and yet feel that I have little to show at this time. Ideally, what I’d like to happen is that several of the following projects all come together at once and I release them in a tidal wave of awesomeness. Or they drop into a black hole. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference.
In my last post I talked about a couple of stories I was starting and I’m afraid it kind of exploded from there. Note the long list of WiP graphs to the right. Note also that most are not close to being finished. Basically, I got thinking about possible stories and bam, all these ideas sprang into my head demanding that I write them. So, lots of new starts and I’m going from story to story and adding verbiage to each as I can. Someday I’ll actually complete one. Hey, it could happen.
One additional thing I’m trying to do is apply some old fashioned formulas to the stories in a further attempt to make them more readable and satisfying to the reader. Basically that means I’m trying to apply Lester Dent’s Master Plot formula to every story. Lester Dent wrote for the pulps and is best known for writing the Doc Savage series as Kenneth Robeson. So the man knows what he’s talking about.
First, let’s talk about the new stuff.
- A Savage Meeting – Tywynn’s version of her first meeting with legendary hero Skar Doorishmurk.
- An Angry Mountain – Next we follow Skar and Tywynn as they journey to Worldheart and their encounter with an ancient evil.
- Killer Economy – a new sci-fi story about a future America where an assassin MMO game becomes the driving force behind the US economy.
- Cursed of Broalle – How Skar’s clan reacts to his delayed return.
Next up, rewrites of older stories that somehow never quite jelled. In new found bursts of inspiration I’ve taken a new approach to both of the following stories in an attempt to finish them once and for all.
- Cold Justice – Reworked the main character’s psyche and made changes to the mood of the story to help the conclusion have more of an impact.
- Spirit Healer for Hire – A new take on this urban fantasy where the final resolution is a lot less confrontational.
Finally, we have the ongoing mystery story that continues to progress. Am busy rewriting the initial chapters to improve the story while trying to complete the initial final chapters where everything comes together and the reveal is complete.
- Built for Murder – Trying to bring together the last few chapters for a satisfying conclusion.
- Festival of Murder* – the second adventure of Erich Rambles based around the annual Austin Music Festival is being plotted and character arcs expanded.
- Staged for Murder* – the third Erich Rambles story will occur during the annual SXSW conference.
That’s it for now. Looks like I actually got a post done for this month, yea! Now back to work.